+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    It does happen, my own kids experienced different gradings. But you have to weight it against what they're learning, and many other things.

And yes on the flip side that is definitely one of the issues in gen ed.

At the end of the day the balance is delicate on the multi-faceted sides of this.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

as a parent of a child that was in gen ed and then moved to a citywide i will say that difficulty of the material makes it much harder to get 4's. i will say a few things:
    1. the homework and increased difficulty of a G&T is like natural test prep. my son is actually quite weak in reading comprehension but got 4's across the board in 3rd and 4th grade math, ela, science. it's DEFINITELY a direct result of the daily hw being the same structure and format as the state tests.
    2. though i understand the example one parent wrote about reading level M = 4, i will say that's not a great example as my son at gen ed was well above reading when it came to level books but when it came to testing that reading comprehension and structured RACE or R2D2 short/long writing responses, he was a 2 at best when he switched to the citywide program. it was after a long year and a lot of practice that he was able to increase that 2 to a 4 come state test time. but i get what they are saying in that, a child performing above common core standards should get a 4. it's just sometimes much harder to get that 4 when the material is accelerated.
    3. to greg's point, sometimes it comes down to personal development and learning more than grades. would i rather my son get 4's and not learn much in gen ed vs get 3's and be very challenged and develop a strong work ethic that will help him for the rest of his life? i chose the later.

These are all excellent points and as a parent, I would rather my child be challenged, think critically, and learn that hard work yields results, aka work ethic. However, it seems that if a child is middle of the road in g&t and only get 3s in report cards, but could be 4s in gen ed, could become self defeating when applying for middle schools since so many also heavily weigh the grades vs just test scores. So all of a sudden, great he/she was challenged in elementary but can't make it into a good middle school bc and now is dumbed down in middle school. No right answer, just a thought.

I've worked with many G&T kids one-on-one and observed hundreds of them including in the classroom, interfaced with tons of G&T teachers, etc. and my experience is that if they're only getting 3s on report cards that they often probably would be in gen ed classes too. There is no hard and fast on this kind of thing even though it often give the illusion to the contrary.
    Last edited by GregsTutoringNYC; 11-08-2019 at 07:34 AM.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)