+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

elementary g and t and middle schools

I know middle schools don't really have a wide g and t program like elementary. However, I heard some schools do offer special programs where for admission they look at 4th grade score and state test scores. My question is, do middle schools know if your child went through a g and t program? Or do they look at g and t program kids and general ed kids scores the same way?

If I understand your question, they can know if a student is in G&T, however, most of the middle schools' admissions don't look at that.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

I see...I ask because a teacher said if a student can be at the TOP of a gen ed class but is average in g and t class, then it would be better to be at the top of a gen ed class...if schools don't really look at what program your kid is in, then is it better to be in gen ed class and have a higher grade? I have no idea how the system works here as I did not grow up in this school system.

That is, for better or for worse, true. In particular as well, G&T scored are not weighted either.

As to what is better, that's a deep question, involving specifics of the current school, new school, and especially of the particulars of your child, at minimum.

That all said, when you start getting into top of this and average of that it can get muddled into hocus pocus real quick too so be cautious with those type of comparisons as they can be distractions IMO.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

We moved from Gen Ed to G&T, and I'd say my kid is probably one of the "average" kids in the G&T class... but at our school the teachers grade from a very distinct and transparent rubric, which is based on common core standards. So even though he may not be the top student in the class, he is still getting 4s on his report card, which is what many of the screened schools use, along with the standardized test scores. So to answer your question, the G&T elementary schools don't directly influence MS admissions in anyway. For us, though, we found the experience of being in a more accelerated class setting helpful overall in terms of things like test prep, etc.

Oh that is interesting. Thank you for the info!

This is actually very helpful to know. I have heard some about some parents "gaming" the system by moving their kids back to gen ed so they are able to get better grades. I wonder though, if this is true of all g&t teachers/schools. It does cause for concern if a child ends up middle or bottom of the g&t class but would rank way higher in gen ed.

I've never really heard of "class rank" being a thing in elementary school, whether it's Gen Ed or G&T (at least in my experiences and those shared with me by others), and most teachers shy away from this sort of conversation. This seems like more of a parent construct. Maybe it's different at citywides or in specific programs, but based on the way things are *supposed* to be for district programs, if kids are performing above Common Core standards for that grade, they would get a 4 on their report card - how they perform relative to one another is meaningless when it comes to class grades. For example, a child finishing 1st grade with a reading level of M would get a 4 for reading, as she is above grade level. It doesn't matter if every other kid in that class is at level S or T - your level M kid is still getting a 4. The question then becomes more about how your individual child would deal with this sort of environment... do they prefer being a big fish in a small pond (i.e. a G&T kid in a Gen Ed class), or does being around kids who are a little more ahead of them inspire/motivate them to do better?

Battery, while I'm certain it's been true that this has and can be so for a certain kid, a certain teacher, a certain school, etc. and has even worked in the student's benefit, I'm also certain that it's also not been each of these cases. Really kinda playing with fire anybody doing this. It also means other things such as maybe that kid should not have been in G&T in the first place and so on. But there is so many scenarios that trying to apply shall we say a formula to this would be rather pointless. It really is so contextual and many parents who would play such a game would be doing just that, and also be on the loosing end of the game, well, their kid would which is probably and even worse thing.

As to rank, it exists to some extent, but you don't know it per se, and often neither does anybody else. So there is not a full fledged concern since there is no external ranking. One way to think about this is that there may eventually be a salutatorian and a valedictorian. And so? Know what I mean? The middle school selection process is not necessarily looking at that otherwise.

Also, grades is not everything. In fact, it's nothing, that is, learning first, and other things too such as character, then let grades follow. Otherwise IMO folks are twisting things not in a good way.

From what I know, some gifted and talented schools do have higher standards and thus grade harder than gen ed. I think it depends on the school and the teacher. The problem with gen ed is that they may prevent your child from progressing if he or she is at a level higher than his or her peers.