+ Reply to Thread

Kudos to all SHSAT Test Takers!!!!! 💥🙌

SHSAT starts today...

Congrats to all test takers!

Your diligence was challenging and you should all be proud of yourselves!!! ����
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    SHSAT starts today...

Congrats to all test takers!

Your diligence was challenging and you should all be proud of yourselves!!! ����
    Hi,
    I just took my SHSAT and I don't really understand the idea of having different forms of the test. My ELA portion on the test was much easier then what I was used to but the math portion was harder. Some kids had different subjects that they were being asked on then me. Will the form of the test have any impact on the score or is all scores from all forms scaled the same way?

I think the DOE puts in extra work here that is unnecessary if this were all set up differently. In any event, you are correct that there is different forms of the SHSAT not just across years but during the same testing year. It comes down to a number of issues including multiple test days, multiple test locations, multiple test times, and some other aspects, some related to cheating, some not. And from there they deem multiple test forms to be used.

Re "My ELA portion on the test was much easier then what I was used to but the math portion was harder." this has a number of issues. One if that this might just be a perception. Another is that another kid may feel the reverse. So this is fairly subjective, based on your own experiences and skills, and then some.

And yes, in some cases this does mean that some kids will have not only different questions but also different subjects/topics/sub-topics.

Your question about whether the form will have any impact is a good one and one that should be of concern. But there is a metabolizing that occurs, and at the end of the day the scores are statistically normalized. This means that whether it feels like one test is easier or harder than another, or in fact actually is easier or harder (which is claimed to not be done on purpose), all tests should be smoothed out across all forms and all students.

I address all this in a semi-related question in this YouTube livestream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8jBxg-YbRI

as there is some myths about which day to take the test and which days to not take the test.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)