+ Reply to Thread

Clinton Middle School cut off?

Does anyone have any insight on Clinton MS cutoff? I hear it's gotten very competitive over the last 2 years where students got offers to Salk or Lab but not Clinton. And perhaps not the right answer, but also heard that boys are admitted more leniently than girls? Not sure if that's true?

I am curious about what Clinton does in the event of ties? I guess there would be a lot of people with "perfect" scores on the admission rubric.

Did anyone ask about this in the middle school tour?

The do not award points based on the two decimal proficiency ratings.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/clinton-webs...oming-2020.pdf

I would find it hard to believe that they select based on gender.

Even when a more precise computation is used this is still a good question. I do know there is an all or none rule used (and it's supposed to be across the board not just at Clinton) but as with many of these schools it has to be fairly accurate in consideration of dupes, but I can never see how except in a small number of situations. I can only guess that waiting lists come into play here, especially now that I believe that is going to be universal for middle and high school this go around.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Seems like a lottery for Clinton with many kids getting 100 on the rubric (lower cut off for test scores) but also their strict attendance policy will eliminate many kids. But definitely more people with a perfect rubric far exceeding number of seats available..but again those kids might not be putting Clinton as their choice 1 and could go to Salk lab or East side middle...

I imagine, they take all the kids who apply and score them... there will be many ties, so then they will randomly rank them (that is the lottery part) and then Clinton will go through the rest of the DOE process in cooperation with all the other schools (which will also have their ranked list of kids). Remember, this year, you do not get more credit for putting one school ahead of another. You simply get accepted to your highest ranked school where they have a seat for you, when it is your turn. My guess, is that not all (but most) accepted to Clinton will have a perfect 100 on the rubric, mainly bc many of those kids will go elsewhere.

I'm not sure what you mean by "this year" but in any event scholar brings up a good point. Remember the schools don't know about each other as the DOE is controlling that part initially. So focus on your priority ranking when figuring all this out. Some of this is most certainly a math problem but don't loose site of other things.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

In past years, if you put Salk first or LAB first, they gave you extra points on the rubric... that would make things much trickier. Not the case anymore.

Ah yeah ok I thought that concern was removed previously already.