+ Reply to Thread

Hunter Elementary

What's the latest with Hunter? Two years ago when I was researching this school it appears they did a numerical waitlist. But last year I was told by my neighbor (who applied his child to Hunter entering kindergarten class) that there is a specific "personality waitlist" now? And no more numerical waitlist.

Can someone confirm? And further explain this personality waitlist to me?

Thanks.

This is often a college level admissions (and other) concept whereas waitlist info is kept mysterious, etc. Hunter does that too. So we never really find out.

That aside, a numeric ranked waitlist has its place in many ways and is often a common approach. But in some cases that alone won't meet the premise of the admissions. For instance, if a minority does not accept they may want to fill the spot with another minority and not the student who would have been #1 on the waitlist if it had been ranked. They could also create a control group and pull from it in lottery form. It could also be unranked simply because they want to postpone the decision until necessary. Etc.

Which HCES uses and why I don't know but hopefully the above elucidates something. Their incoming class size and their wait list are both small which can be both a good thing or not depending upon how you look at it.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

What the neighbor told me was that HCES told them they now use a waitlist in which each applicant is assigned to a category based on personality (e.g., introvert, extrovert) and HCES now accepts a certain number of students from each personality - I assume to even diversify the personality in each class. And if an accepted candidate does not matriculate then they take the next person on that is the same "personality group" to fill that spot. This is all what I was told, so I was wondering if anyone can confirm.

There was a point where HCES entry was split 50% boys/girls. I don't know if they do that any more.

There was also a point their waitlist numbers only went from 1 through 6 even though there were additional candidates they choose. From 7 onwards it's my understanding you were chosen based on the intelligence, personality, etc of a child who didn't accept/left, based on their observations during Round 2 no doubt, analogous or exactly what your neighbor is referring to.

Sounds like they kept the latter "personality" choosing process but removed the former (1-6).
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

They still do 25 boys & 25 girls. It's just that within these 50 kids they designed it so that there is a mixture of personality types. So whether a waitlisted child gets a spot depends on whether the same personality type spot opens up.

Again, all hear-say but I would love confirmation here from another family.

For better or for worse, most admissions descriptions I've ever read for many many schools are always laced with errors, vagueness and incompleteness. I think it's done purposely. My thoughts are that even if there is statements from multiple families that it might bring the question closer to being answered but that it's still hearsay. Only non-hearsay will be to get a clear and concise explicit statement from Hunter on the issue and I suspect they'll never do that.

I hear Hunter Elementary results are in. Does anyone know how many applicants applied this year?