+ Reply to Thread

Taking the G&T test during Kindergarten and effect on current district G&T status

Hi everyone, my daughter is taking the G&T test this week for first grade placement. We are very happy at her current district G&T program but want to see if she gets a high enough score for citywide (esp with its guaranteed entry into G&T middle school). Someone on the G&T Facebook group wrote that if one’s score is low they may get kicked out of his/her current district G&T placement. Is this possible? If so, I may cancel taking the test. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ledgie1 View Post
    Hi everyone, my daughter is taking the G&T test this week for first grade placement. We are very happy at her current district G&T program but want to see if she gets a high enough score for citywide (esp with its guaranteed entry into G&T middle school). Someone on the G&T Facebook group wrote that if one’s score is low they may get kicked out of his/her current district G&T placement. Is this possible? If so, I may cancel taking the test. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Never heard of such thing. If you want 100% assurance, you can send an email to DOE to confirm for peace of mind.

They don't kick you out. I think they talk you out of staying. This would happen if you are in local G&T as well. But you have to be failing almost all major subjects or you are disrupting the class way too much. Think of it this way, if a child is way behind the class or the teacher has to stop teaching and spend half of the day with that one child for many months, that is when the school will give a pet talk.

No way, once you're in, you're in. I'm not even sure that the schools see the scores (except for active applications) since they're mailed to your home.

gtuser is correct. Not sure what James is talking about.

Once you're in, you're in. You can retake the GT test as many times as you want & reapply to other GT programs without any issues. Many parents do this for their GT kids since it's so slim to get into a citywide GT program on the first try (even with a 99 percentile score!).