+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    I have a friend who got into Brooklyn Latin with a score of 498

Quote Originally Posted by DannyDinamite666 View Post
    Brooklyn Latin 501 and Goldstein. It's really a shame that they had to raise the brooklyn tech score so much. If they kept it or lowered it i would have gotten in. Honestly, tech was my dream school, but now i gotta decide between Latin and Goldstein, and it's probably gonna be goldstein.
    I think mostly because starting this year, DoE expanded Discovery Program from 5% to 20% of seats at each Specialized HS. Basically 1 out of 5 students in SHS now belong to Discovery Program. This is why the cut-off score for BTech is raised above 500 this year. In the past, couple of years, BTech cufoff was around 480-498.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get in to your dream school, but Brooklyn Latin is great school also.
    If you're into math and sciences, then Goldstein is probably better than Brooklyn Latin.

Yes, that's right. Cutoff scores are determined organically based on seat counts and top scorers and not by the school itself. And with another 7% or so of seats allocated to Discovery numbers bumped up some.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

It went from 5% admitted through discovery in previous years to 14% last year and then 20% this year. So even last years cutoff scores were higher because of that initial 9% increase in admissions through discovery.
    I wish more people would post their scores because with so little reporting it is hard to gage a real sense of the cutoff this year.

GregsTutoringNYC - Do you think that this current situation (Coronavirus) will have any impact on the October 2020 SHSAT?

Yes. I do think that covid-19 will impact the Oct 2020 SHSAT. It has to. I have a number of thoughts about that. I plan to do a livestream about it over the next few days maybe even later today. Also, for the Hunter College High School test as well, which has just as involved dynamics; some concerns and realities overlap, some are unique to each. So I plan to talk about both.
    Last edited by GregsTutoringNYC; 04-02-2020 at 10:36 AM.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Livestream? Interested to hear your thoughts on it.

What did you do to get into Brooklyn tech for 9th grade? What test prep books did you use and stuff like that.

What test prep books she use to get into HSMSE in the 9th grade?

What did you do to prep for the 9th grade shsat? What test prep books did you use and when did you start studying? How much hours did you study a day?