+ Reply to Thread

Waitlisted for Beacon 2020

Waitlisted? What's your number?

Good luck to all

waitlisted currently #2631. Already moved 100 seats in 1 week.

Checking via myschools?
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

yes. Myschools tells you where your child waitlist # is and moves from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by flying elephant View Post
    waitlisted currently #2631. Already moved 100 seats in 1 week.
    Wow! I guess many of those offered Beacon likely had a specialized HS option and they opted for that. In your previous post you indicated you got accepted to Bard Queens as well? Did you waitlist for that? If so please feel free to share in this thread:

http://www.theschoolboards.com/showt...S-High-Schools

Quote Originally Posted by test321 View Post
    Wow! I guess many of those offered Beacon likely had a specialized HS option and they opted for that. In your previous post you indicated you got accepted to Bard Queens as well? Did you waitlist for that? If so please feel free to share in this thread:

http://www.theschoolboards.com/showt...S-High-Schools
    Bard Queen was my son’s first choice and waitlisted #12. Unlike Beacon, Bard Queens’ waitlist # hasn’t moved even 1 spot.

That's interesting. I was originally thinking the 100 represented a possible over-offer they may do that goes away once the acceptance deadlines are done. But for Bard Queens not to move contrasts that thinking, unless this part of things is done by hand, and with things going on IRL that's still to be done? But I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Anyway, curious of other explanations as even though I agree SHS offers no doubt complete with say Beacon seats I'd think they would for Bard Queens too?
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

I think perhaps a combination of students selecting SHS and those withdrawing from the waitlist contributed to the list moving by 100. I'm not sure if parents are able to select between SHS (if offered) and non SHS thru myschools but many middle school guidance counselors were probably busy this past week entering the families' choices thru their system.

With ~350 incoming freshmen seats and guessing ~500 offers, it would take every initial offer to be turned down to even get to someone on the waitlist on say #500. It would be interesting to see how it moves in the coming days and weeks. I can't see more than 10-15 people coming off the waitlist for Beacon.

Being #12 on the Bard list has a realistic chance so I hope your child gets in! I do recall on various tours and info sessions that schools rank 4 to 10 (varies based on demand for school) times their number of available seats and DOE makes offers to about 1.5x the number of seats available based on school size and other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by flying elephant View Post
    Bard Queen was my son’s first choice and waitlisted #12. Unlike Beacon, Bard Queens’ waitlist # hasn’t moved even 1 spot.
    I expect there to be some movement as the late April deadline approaches for those that got an offer to SHS and Bard Queens must choose one. My guess though it less than 5 seats will open but I hope I am wrong and that your child gets in.