+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How does Citywide and district G&T lottery work??

Can someone talk about how the lottery system works if the child doesn't have any siblings? Let's say my child qualifies for both citywide and district program. If he ranks a district program as #2 on his list, and a citywide as #1 on the application. Would the district program place a child with a lower score, but place this district school as #1 on his list gets priority over my child? What about vice versa?

If you put a citywide program as priority 1 and you don't get in, you will still be placed higher for the district G&T program vs. a child with a lower score regardless of the kid's list.

This is the narrative for what clam mentioned: The order you place programs on the application will be used if your child is eligible for offers from more than one program. In such cases, your child would only get an offer to the program you placed higher on the application.

Children have priority to attend certain G&T programs based on the following:
    * Sibling priority – for G&T programs at schools where a child’s sibling is a current student
    * District priority – for district G&T programs in the district where a child lives
    * Diversity priority – for select programs, for students who qualify for free or reduced lunch (FRL), students in temporary housing, English Language Learners, and other groups

District G&T programs give first priority to sibling applicants who get an overall G&T score of 90 or above. After all eligible siblings are placed, non-sibling applicants ARE PLACED BY OVERALL G&T SCORE. Eligible students may apply to any program in any district across the city, but applicants with district priority to a given program will get priority. This ... shows the order in which applicants are considered for district G&T programs: "Each eligible applicant has priority for one or more district programs based on the district where they are zoned for elementary school. In general, families have priority for district programs in their zoned district. However, in some cases, such as when a district does not offer a G&T program, applicants may have a priority for one or more program options in neighboring districts. Children who are zoned to or currently attend a school with a G&T program do not have any additional priority to that school over other students in the district." When there are multiple students with the same priority and score, OFFERS ARE RANDOMLY ASSIGNED.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

if i made a citywide on my first and a district as a my second choice. Are we gonna have same chance with a same scored kid who placed that district school on his first choice?

Neither one of you will have the same chance
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    Neither one of you will have the same chance
    What does that mean? Can you give me more information on that ? Thank you.

I live in District 13 and wonder if there are resources for parents who are nervous about the daily commute for Kindergarteners to some of these schools? Can anyone recommend resources for assessing transportation options to citywide G&T programs? The DOE hasn't yet responded to my inquiry about this but, from what I can tell, my child does not qualify for free bussing to any of the five citywide programs. There is only one citywide program with 5 miles from my home, which has made this process somewhat difficult. My child commuted to PK via subway (before COVID-19 stay at home) and it was very tough, so I had hoped to have some easier options this year. I'd appreciate the insight!

There are private buses organized and paid for by the parents. The PTA website is usually a good starting point. As an example, see below for NEST +m:
    http://www.nestmpta.org/private-bus-service.html

Quote Originally Posted by RoxaniG View Post
    There are private buses organized and paid for by the parents. The PTA website is usually a good starting point. As an example, see below for NEST +m:
    http://www.nestmpta.org/private-bus-service.html
    Thank you, RoxaniG!

So, if there is a diversity priority just like there is for Anderson now, is the 30% of seat for diversity based on the trial number of seats or on the number of seats left after siblings are placed? Same question for other diversity programs at oil there schools which are based on percentage of the number of seats....