+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Do you mean as in the raw stats from the DOE portal, or something else?
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    Do they have diversity amongst the teaching staff? Its one thing to try and recruit students from low income areas so they can say they tried.... but hiring a diverse teaching staff actually would bring a more authentic perspective and point of view to the children's education. So my question is do they have diversity in the staff? That's almost what I look for more in a school.

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    On another note do you know anything at all about TAG? Do they have diversity amongst the teaching staff? Is it super traditional and rigid? Do they have any progressive philosophies?

Perhaps could instead of would.

I don't know/have Anderson/TAG stats of that nature, but IIRC in general average NYC teachers breakdown as follows: 40% teachers of color (20% black, 15% latinx, 5% asian), 25% male (but usually not in G&T or Kindergarten among many others); I believe there is age (average ~43), degrees breakdowns (must at least have a masters though) and years of employment as a NYC school teacher (average 10.x years, with majority leaving at that point) somewhere but not sure where.

AFAIK, there is no breakdown for other important issue of diversity including teacher marital status, economic status, gender, sexual orientation, disability, town of residence, number of children, skin color, weight, languages spoken, homeless status, culture, religion, creed, immigration status/origin, preparedness, years of total employment, certificates, previous experience, etc.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

By any chance would you be able to tell me if a child has any chance of entering the select middle school programs without attending a G & T? Can a child from GE with very high test scores and high school marks have a chance or will the select middle school ie. Clinton or Nest etc. not consider those scores as seriously since they are not from a G & T program? I'm sure they will say all weigh the same but please tell me the reality. Thank you.

MS do not weight courses differently if G&T or Gen Ed (I have never seen this when we looked for my 2 kids). If DC has good scores, grades, attendance then DC is not at a disadvantage compared to G&T kids.

That was even true when we looked at HS, except for 1 where AP verbally told us they weighed honors classes more, but never saw it writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hachilove View Post
    By any chance would you be able to tell me if a child has any chance of entering the select middle school programs without attending a G & T? Can a child from GE with very high test scores and high school marks have a chance or will the select middle school ie. Clinton or Nest etc. not consider those scores as seriously since they are not from a G & T program? I'm sure they will say all weigh the same but please tell me the reality. Thank you.
    Clinton's middle school usually enrolls strong students across district 2 GE. But if you're looking for diversity Clinton is not the school for you.

Nest usually has no open seats at "middle grades" level.

Quote Originally Posted by test321 View Post
    Clinton's middle school usually enrolls strong students across district 2 GE. But if you're looking for diversity Clinton is not the school for you.

Nest usually has no open seats at "middle grades" level.
    Thanks so much. Good to know. Sometimes there are unspoken rules. I got my child into a District 1 school by calling, visiting and emailing. I was told to make myself "seen" so thats what I did. So I thought maybe even though on paper it lists what is required for entry, perhaps there is the unspoken rule that G & T applications make it to the top first. I live one block from Clinton so I'm pretty familiar and *sigh* I've also pretty much accepted any goals for diversity will have to be compromised once we get to Middle School. In an ideal world I would like to keep my kid where he is in a GE school with the social values and population that's most in line with our family and supplement his extra educational needs then really focus on getting him into a MS that is more academic.