+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

NYC Chancellor Carranza corona thoughts: "Never Waste a Good Crisis"

It was reported a few weeks ago that in response to the horrendous pandemic we are in now, especially in NYC, Chancellor Carranza was quoted as saying

"Never waste a good crisis."
    How sick is that?

Now it's available on audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0454Gpnv6Q
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

We need a new Chancellor - hope we elect a better mayor who then pics a Chancellor who will support, and nor ruin, the many good things we have about public schools.

We will be "very aggressive" to implement the equity agenda - I shudder - as his track record in San Francisco is dismal - many families moved our or opted for private/charter schools because of his policies.

This mayor was elected because no one even bothered to show up to vote. For his second term, only 23 percent of registered voters voted in the mayoral election, reaching a new record low. In 2013, roughly 24 percent of voters turned out to the polls.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/blog...lection-110817

Do be aware, and to be clearer, that the DOE is very hard at work at making drastic changes to how middle school, high school and perhaps even elementary school admissions are going to work. All screened schools admissions will probably change in effect bringing us back to local high schools only but not even with any accelerated classes whatsoever.

Coronavirus is also being an opportunity to not waste a good crisis among the dead to remove the SHSAT too and the DOE is hard at work at doing that too.

This is not fiction. The mayor even said so in his televised press conference this morning
    "certainly the screened schools are being reevaluated, and well more to say on that in the future."
    The clip is here: https://youtu.be/slbbJ1kMXeE
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

That would trigger a mass exodus form the city of families - I can just see it! Private schools are going to thrive. If you are in district 4 like us, this would be a disaster.

yup. when D15 went to MS lottery, the local privates like Xaverian and Poly saw a 25% increase in apps.

This is stressful to think about - we need substantial financial aid for private school...may never make it. What strategies can one employ GregTutoringNYC and parennyc1mp? I was even thinking of Homeschooling if G&T does not work out. Or go to a progressive public (we are close to CPE I) school for social development, but tutor heavily outside of school? Basically use school for friendships?

Well for one contact your local politician and make it totally clear what your thoughts are. They need to hear from you.

Some progressives are exactly the ticket, but I would decide that based upon your child. And if done right may or may not require a tutor.

I think esp with fams essentially at least partially homeschooling that some fams are already deciding to do homeschooling (who would have never considered it previously) even if schools open in the fall and screens et al remain unchanged.

This is an unfolding situation with lots of tentacles. I have to think about it more myself to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by djadziadax View Post
    That would trigger a mass exodus form the city of families - I can just see it! Private schools are going to thrive. If you are in district 4 like us, this would be a disaster.
    Between the COVID19 pandemic and expected change of public schools admissions, yes this will drive a mass exodus for many families and increased enrollments at private and charter schools. This is what Carranza wants as so many schools are overcrowded. It's easier for him to get rid of the "privileged" whites and asians that he hates so much to leave the system than build more schools, hire more teachers, and increase much needed G&T.

These articles dated February 2020 shows that Carranza has been quietly trying unscreen top schools including high performing MCSM in East Harlem.

https://newyorkschooltalk.org/2020/0...e-trusting-it/

https://mcsmrampage.com/2020/02/mcsm-story/