+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: G&T future

G&T future

Folks

I have a child born Feb 2016 and thinking of starting prep for the g&t test and wanted to confirm a few things

1) Is it accurate that most kids take this test the year before entering Kintergarten? Are you allowed to take the test again before entering 1st grade?
    2) When is Deblasio supposed to make a decision on this test and is it possible the whole program will get scrapped in 2020 itself? Are other parents prepping their kids for this test at home have the same concerns?

Thanks

G&T has not been changed in any ways. As with all schooling the pandemic has thrown a wrench into things but that's across the board.

Administering a practice test so a child is familiar with its procedures should be done close to testing time. Not sure what you mean be prepping.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Ok, Is it accurate that most kids take this test the year before entering Kintergarten? Are you allowed to take the test again before entering 1st grade?

You can take it for entry up to 3rd grade.

Also, have a look-see here: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/enrollme...d-and-talented
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Yes, your child can take the test up to 3rd grade, but the chances of getting a seat are much better when entering kindergarten. There are 25 seats up for grabs in K, up to 7 in 1st grade and a few, depending on attrition, for 2nd and 3rd grade. Therefore it makes sense to try for K.
    I think you can wait until the fall before making concrete plans on this. We may have more info and you will stay have time to prepare if you do decide to hav your child take the test.

If I were to ask you folks to attach a % of how many kids get accepted into a g&t school but their parents decide to send them to a regular school because of convenience (walking distance or other factors), would you be able to place a guesstimate? Thanks

Maybe you can get an idea by how much waitlists move. For citywide schools, I'd say maybe 10-15%?

Just my opinion, I would say less then 5% for citywides. But for District I think its more like 30-40%.

would it be a fair conclusion to say that parents rate the education received at citywide g&t schools considerably higher than district ones?

without a doubt. Citywides are accelerated and enriched. District programs are all over the map, mostly enriched, and some with teachers with a G&T credential or at least ability to challenge kids at higher levels.