+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    No reason to rule out a take home SHSAT; .
    Moved to an online model....possibly. Hard copy, untimed, unsupervised for such a high stakes exam...I think that is out of the question.

Some possibilities I can imagine would be testing over several weeks/weekends and many more testing locations to maintain social distancing rather than the traditional cramming 35+ students per classroom in 5 locations over a couple of weekends.

Other possibilities is if school buildings are closed in the Fall, the evil chancellor and mayor may get their wish of taking the top 7% (First 2/3 grades of 7th grade marks?) of each middle school and do a lottery of sorts. Of course that would likely require some sort of waiver from the state.

Quote Originally Posted by test321 View Post
    Moved to an online model....possibly. Hard copy, untimed, unsupervised for such a high stakes exam...I think that is out of the question.
    It doesn't need to be hard copy, untimed or unsupervised. Much in-pandemic testing has now been done, not hundreds or even thousands but millions. The ISEE and the SSAT are doing it too, including for students even younger than some SHSAT takers. This too needs to be seen in the context that even the traditional current way is not without problems.

Quote Originally Posted by test321 View Post
    Some possibilities I can imagine would be testing over several weeks/weekends and many more testing locations to maintain social distancing rather than the traditional cramming 35+ students per classroom in 5 locations over a couple of weekends.

Other possibilities is if school buildings are closed in the Fall, the evil chancellor and mayor may get their wish of taking the top 7% (First 2/3 grades of 7th grade marks?) of each middle school and do a lottery of sorts. Of course that would likely require some sort of waiver from the state.
    If it comes down to needing several more weeks, etc. that would imply more buildings would probably be available than normal (and they normally are anyway considering testing occurs on a weekend for most students) and "simply" using them.

They may try the 7% thing is if were to come down to it but I'm really doubtful that would fly and definitely be a waste of time on their parts and perhaps money too.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Also, other tests, for instance SCAT for John Hopkins CTY for Grade 2 to Grade 6 (reflecting material of Grades 4 to Grade 12, so some of it definitely SHSATish) are also happening online.
    Last edited by GregsTutoringNYC; 06-27-2020 at 09:31 AM.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    They may try the 7% thing is if were to come down to it but I'm really doubtful that would fly and definitely be a waste of time on their parts and perhaps money too.
    I am against the 7% thing though I can't see how it would be a waste of time and money. If anything it saves times and money. No printing, grading, and administering 30000 exams paying teachers tens of thousands in overtime. The 7% things can be done running a computer scripts TODAY using data available NOW with minimal manpower.

Oh yes, I would think that when the 7% thing came up that they wrote up the code/scripts back then which means 1) it's already there and 2) it probably wasn't a lot of code/scripts anyway -- nothing too deep is going on. If they didn't do that at the time I would be surprised. So yeah that cost should have been minimal at the time and so would be now too. That said, for all we know they hired somebody for $1M to do it for them.

I was more referring to all the extraneous costs which is why I said perhaps. For instance when you look at the cost of say last year's city and state hearings and town halls. That was just dragging everybody through the mud for dragging purposes. I don't know how to compute an economic cost of that but that didn't come free in dollars or otherwise.