+ Reply to Thread

G&T practices at home

Folks - I'm trying to do some exercises with my kid who's an early 4 and will perhaps be the youngest 4 year old to take the test in Jan 2021 if that usual date sticks

My main goal is letting him give it a shot even though I can't claim he's the most intelligent in class although certainly above average. My problem is he's yet quite small and can't focus on any task for more than 2-3 minutes at a time. The only realistic way for him to focus on something beyond that is he's eating his favorite thing which he can continuously do without stopping for over 15-20 mins if needed

Hence, even if I have him do all exercises and practice tests at home, I feel it would be impossible for him to complete the test in the given time. How have you tackled this?

Thanks

I'm not 100% clear on your question, but I'll provide a few thoughts anyway:

It's important to maintain things as stress-free as possible. This means not only won't he get in trouble for not sticking with it but that it's timed right (not when hungry, not when tired, etc.). This sounds obvious but with other things going on may have inadvertent consequences you're not aware of initially.

For many of us eating is a time for sitting and spending more time on something than we might otherwise. So this could be a segue into starting this bite-sized and then adding as time goes on. However, I'm not sure I would connect these activities with eating. Often best to do it in a certain quiescent place in the house.

As you mention, he's young. It may need time.

In the meantime, focus on the higher level things and the "normal" other things one might be going over: colors, numbers, words, animals, shapes, sizes, foods, common things, left/right/up/down/etc. simple patterns, following directions, not necessarily related to the test at all (a combo one might be throw the wash on the floor and have him pick out all white socks that are mom's foot size, etc).

Reward as necessary.

Let him control some of it. Maybe even him having you do it sometimes.

Inch things along as opportunity knocks.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

God advice. Is the test the same for all 4 year olds or do they give a different test based on birth month? As you know, 4 years and 1 month and 4 years and 11 months is a big difference at this stage of life in brain development

The DOE says in the year your child turns 5 they must begin public school kindergarten, if they're going there. So all age 5ers are (normally) lumped together. As well, G&T is intended to test and find kids ahead of the curve, so there is no wiggle provided there.

The test is the same but depending upon when it's taken your child could end up be ranked with a different percentile of kids. That is percentile ranks are determined based of your child raw score applied against other children of the same age range. I don't have that breakdown available and given testing is recently in Januaryish not an awful lot of wiggle there either.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Quote Originally Posted by gotoschool View Post
    God advice. Is the test the same for all 4 year olds or do they give a different test based on birth month? As you know, 4 years and 1 month and 4 years and 11 months is a big difference at this stage of life in brain development
    The test is the same, but they are scored against different curves. Essentially, kids are compared to others who are born within the same 3-month interval.

Also, I think it's still pretty early and you have time.