+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: G&T books

ok that sounds better because a Kweller prep teacher I met when I paid a visit to their center said to get to 99th percentile, they can only get 1 question wrong in each of those tests

I can confirm this is not true. Both of my kids have scored 99 on the G&T test and both of them had missed a few questions in BOTH sections.

Keep in mind though that it is graded on a curve and so every year is different (as far as how many questions they can miss to still obtain a 99% score). But in general, they definitely don't need to get nearly every single question correct. Not sure why that test prep company is trying to scare you like that.

It's hard to tell. But it's worth adding that the age of the child is considered in the scoring. So while X = Y% for one kid, X+/-Z = Y% for another as it is compared to the norms.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Something unrelated but does anybody know of the admin email for this website? If you go to ES/MS - General (NY), it doesn't allow you to click on Post new thread anymore

My new question was going to be if UPK attendance is strictly watched or DOE is fairly lenient with kids taking a few days out of school during UPK year

Thx

It allowed it for me
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Quote Originally Posted by gotoschool View Post

My new question was going to be if UPK attendance is strictly watched or DOE is fairly lenient with kids taking a few days out of school during UPK year

Thx
    Both of my kids were also in UPK programs....and yes they do keep attendance. But does attendance matter in PRE-K....NO. We have taken them out of Pre-K many times to travel and while the pre-K schools do keep track, it does not serve any purpose really.

Pre-K is not a required "grade" to formally achieve before starting kindergarten.

guys - my kid is struggling in some NNAT questions and I'm looking to see if anybody knows of any puzzles that I can purchase and have her do. Doing it in the book has been tough for her. I'm referring to the question where there is an empty box in the middle

It's hard to tell from your description which aspect is underlying the struggle, it could be many things. One thing is to have her experience various types of puzzle in the normal course of affairs so that part of her mind is use to what that may be about. Doing this has nothing to do per se with NNAT but if done has a related benefit. Assuming it is unfamiliarity with the test, there is nothing like letting her rotate the page a few times so long as she doesn't establish a dependency doing so. Another thing is to cut out the insert and let her try each one. These is a physical ways for her to establish what is otherwise an topological connection in part. You can do this on your own much simpler so the concept is understood. As mentioned, this could be many things. If it's something deeper would have to explore further.

You could use MiniLuk, a bit pricey but its fun and help a lot with NNAT kind of questions.

Save the $$$, G&T testing will be suspended for the year.