+ Reply to Thread

NYC School Breakfast has 105 grams of sugar?

Went to pick up my kids "box" now that we are back to fully remote learning.

They gave me the breakfast that the kids receive. Let's just say I was shocked by the pure crap they are feeding kids (and lower income kids in particular). My kids don't eat school breakfast or lunch ever. I guess they don't know it basically like candy!

Shall we just say - great way to head towards diabetes. Breakfast had a total of over 105 grams of sugar... that's right, 105 grams of sugar. Are they out of their minds. These people in charge are the worst in many regards, just add this to the list. So sad! I commend the principals at the schools for the great job they do, with such crappy leadership at the top.

Keep the G&T, keep the SHSAT, screen for the top, these are our future leaders that will become doctors, scientists, engineers, business men/women... figure out why the lower performers aren't getting even the basic elementary education they need to get passing scores on the state MATH & ELA. I believe priority for education begins in the home.

The sugar is just one part of it. The tow-the-line response from principals and the DOE on this is that it's done by a nutritionist, also that's it's better than the kid being totally hungry, and that despite that it needs to be kid friendly. Now imagine that there is a whole dept of well-paid adults to handle this. And BTW this is true for many low-income food sources and the quality of said food; as an example, I saw one giving out Coke and Cheetos en masse. Go figure.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

My wife told me that this crap was all single serving stuff, bc of the pandemic and that it's not usually like this. That it's more cafeteria style and MAYBE healthier. I only add this b/c I am fair and balanced. That said - the breakfast today included 105 grams of sugar. That was a fact.

I've been in various school building at all hours for some 20 years. Enough of the food is nothing to write home about.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)