+ Reply to Thread

District G&T worth it given the changes?

Do any of you have any thoughts on how the changes to G&T (elimination of current model after this year) will affect district programs (i.e. one or two classes at a gen ed school)? We are going to prep for the test, but I dont have high hopes of a top scores, i.e. 99%.

My feeling is that the district programs will try to keep up with the kids for a year or two, but then decline as teaches are pulled in different directions and maybe interchanged with others in the school.

I would think that citywides will still be relatively better off since the whole schools is G&T focused and this drift may not occur, although I wonder whether there will be top down slow down in acceleration, i.e. from the principle (new principles at Andersons, NEST, TAG)...

Anyway, I know nothing is clear, but where could we look for examples of what happens that would be relevant?

I am trying to decide whether to do private on a scholarship (still more than I want to pay), or any type of G&T.

Any random thoughts appreciated

if the "model of G&T" changes then it won't just be the admissions process but a change en masse, structurally, pedagogy, you name it. Now, G&T was never perfect, but, what the DOE has been teasing in dribs and drabs what they are considering is basically a GenEd enhancement, and throwing G&T out the window since the direction is orthogonal to G&T. It will be a lot of movement and time and energy, as any smoke and mirrors act is.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

I presume the model for this last class of students will stay the same, and will change with the next class...

Their position is that it doesn't work and it's broken beyond repair. What happens from there on our end we can only use a magic 8 ball, which might turn out to be what they're using on their end too.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

The future is not bright for G&T, especially District programs. With no timeline, no political support and no funds to pursue viable alternatives the District programs will dissolve into their GenEd schools. Experienced, credentialed G&T teachers will not wait around to see where the darts land. Maybe we will see more Citywide seats, such as Lower Lab becoming the only District 2 Citywide. Likely District G&T "programs" will be created in more schools, but this will be on the order of a couple classes a week, an enrichment club for accelerated learners. We are pursing other options as well. Its an older, but familiar NYC problem....private with scholarship? or put that same money towards a higher-priced neighborhood with better zoned GenEd. So now, post-G&T, everyone has fewer options.