+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is the G&T test actually happening this year?

Several news articles mention that the city’s Panel for Education Policy will vote next week on whether to renew DOE’s contract with the company that produces the G&T test. Some PEP members seem opposed to going forward with the G&T test this year. Does anyone know more information about whether the G&T exam is actually happening this year?

You got it, that's the next step. So it's not a slam dunk just yet.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Here's PEP's "pre-contract" meeting they had yesterday. https://learndoe.org/pep/archive-contracts-jan-2021/ I'm not feeling confident about the prospects of this year's G&T testing... Seems like a mess....

Carranza just confirmed in newsletter test will happen. Info on DOE website in a couple of weeks.

Let’s see how PEP votes tomorrow. Sounds like some members are on the fence about renewing Pearson contract. One of their concerns (and probably strongest argument) is that Pearson only offers an in-person test for G&T. If PEP votes against renewing Pearson, I would imagine that the DOE will need to scramble to find another company that has a G&T test that can be administered remotely.
    Last edited by brown212; 01-26-2021 at 12:31 PM.

There is such hostility in that video.

If you want to express your opinion about the G&T contract to be voted on tomorrow, you may want to email PEP members. (PEP emails below -as reported on the DOE website). Also, there is a public comment period tomorrow Jan 27th, but you have to register ahead of time to be able to comment:
    https://learndoe.org/pep/jan27/?fbcl...AEcJ2j37mEH4t4

Calandrella Peter <PCalandrella@schools.nyc.gov>; Chacon Geneal <GChacon@schools.nyc.gov>; Chapman April <AChapman7@schools.nyc.gov>; Green Giles Natalie <NGreengiles@schools.nyc.gov>; Kraft Michael <MKraft2@schools.nyc.gov>; Park Price Kathy <KParkprice@schools.nyc.gov>; Waite Shannon <SWaite3@schools.nyc.gov>; Carmignani Isaac <ICarmignani@schools.nyc.gov>; Leung Vanessa <VLeung@schools.nyc.gov>; Dillingham Deborah <DDillingham@schools.nyc.gov>; Linnen Gary <GLinnen@schools.nyc.gov>; Podvesker Lori <LPodvesker@schools.nyc.gov>; Hamamgian Charlette <CHamamgian@schools.nyc.gov>; CPAC <infocpacnyc@gmail.com>; Wallack Josh <JWallack@schools.nyc.gov>; Sheppard Thomas C. <TSheppard5@schools.nyc.gov>

Article in Daily news that talks about PEP situation:
    https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...swe-story.html

I thought so much - that the pressure will be on on members to approve the contract. The Mayor and Carranza already committed publicly to this and once they got a wind that the members would not support it, they had to do something to not end up with an egg on their faces.

Additionally, I listen to the entire discussion, and the concerns were not really about the contract but the nature of the program. And the DOE folks were whole unprepared to defend why it is either this contract or cancelling the test. They should have been more prepared to explain why:

1. Test cannot be administer online
    2. It is not feasible to search for another vendor
    3. Cancelling it without a plan on how to fill 4000 seats in public schools is a disaster
    4. The money saved on it will not make difference in the overall situation of closed schools.

These are basic questions that should have been prepared for, as they are valid questions and the answers all point to signing the contract if the mayor wants to fill 4000 seats this year.

The mixture of incompetence, unrealistic planning, and outright cockiness of the DOE and of the Mayor is hurting every kid. I just don't get it, and it transcends whether there is G&T or not. I agree things at least for now point that direction, but don't know why it keeps having to come down to all these silly cliff-hangers.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast