+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Anybody heard from Hunter College Elementary School about Round 2?

Alina Adams reports that Hunter Elementary sent some invites to Round 2 a few weeks ago and claimed they'd continue sending out more invites over the next few weeks. Did anyone here receive any news (good or bad) yet, or personally know of anyone else who did?

My child hasn't heard anything from Hunter yet, but neither have any of the kids in her pre-school, either; which seems odd since we know enough people that I'd expect at least one of them to have heard something. Alina Adams stated in her newsletter that only about 1,000 kids applied to Hunter this year (I'm not sure where she got that number, but I heard a typical year is around 3,000) so assuming they're sending out the same number of invites as usual then I'm surprised I don't know a single person who has heard anything.

Does anyone personally know of anyone who's heard anything so far?

Haven't heard anything. Last email from the school said mid-January. But the last update on the school's website is dated Jan 28 and said it would happen over the next several weeks.

Just got notification that our kid passed to round two.

They might be trickling notices, so stay put for another little bit if you haven't heard yet.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Quote Originally Posted by heapchk View Post
    Alina Adams stated in her newsletter that only about 1,000 kids applied to Hunter this year (I'm not sure where she got that number, but I heard a typical year is around 3,000) so assuming they're sending out the same number of invites as usual then I'm surprised I don't know a single person who has heard anything.
    I wonder if this is because of the pandemic and people leaving manhattan (to live in brooklyn or queens)....since you have to live in manhattan for your child to be at Hunter College Elementary.

It's certainly possible that some families move away, but I am still surprised that the numbers would be down so much. HCES and HCHS are still some of the best education options in the city, especially with so much uncertainty surrounding G&T, middle schools, and high schools.

As for the second round, my guess is that there won't be as many kids advancing as in previous years. I think the reason they are doing rolling round 2 is a way to see as few kids as possible. In previous years, they saw 250? 300? kids in round 2? With the pandemic, it probably means they can fit far fewer testers / kids in the classroom. So they will probably see say 50 kids over a couple weekends, make offers to as many kids as they like and then invite another 50 kids for the next couple weekends, make more offers and continue until they end up with their 25 boys and 25 girls. This is a complete, uninformed guess from an outsider.

Sounds quite plausible.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

They said: Due to the pandemic, we have moved our timeline and final decision process into the spring. Look for an email in the coming weeks about next steps in the process.

Good luck to your child.

Hunter moving its timeline could be a boost to Manhattan families vying for HCES but not private schools. The Hunter process could run beyond the private school commitment deadline and some families with private school offers may exit the Hunter process.

I'm convinced both Hunter, and on their own for their own reasons the DOE, have consciously included within what they're doing a game of see-who-blinks-first.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast