+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Yeah, it's really frustrating. But the more I think about it, the more things really do seem to be pointing in the direction of no onsite.

* People who left the city last spring but who are planning to move back this fall would have to make travel arrangements to come in for the onsite. At least with the Round 1 test the appointments opened in October and ran through December, but the window for getting back to the city would be really short if they suddenly notify us of an onsite at this late date. This doesn't affect me, because our family has been in NYC the whole time, but I know it affects quite a lot of other people.

* There are no vaccines available for kids, and even qualified adults are having trouble getting appointments. If a Round 2 onsite turned into (lord forbid) a COVID superspreader event, that would be VERY bad press for a school that's had a ton of bad press related to COVID over the course of the last year.

* Kids who have been going to preschool remotely are kind of at a disadvantage either way, because if there's no onsite, Hunter is basing their decision on recommendations from preschool teachers who might not ever have met the kid in person, and if they go to an onsite, they're probably in a room with other kids for the first time in a year or more, which has the potential to lead to a lot of anxiety and uncharacteristically disruptive behavior, just based on the unfamiliarity of the experience. I asked my kid if he wanted to go back to onsite school for the last two months of the year after the option to go from remote to onsite was recently reinstated, and he said he didn't, because he didn't know the kids or the teacher and he wouldn't feel safe. Kids who have been going to preschool onsite all along are probably less likely to be freaked out by an onsite observation. So there might not be any way of making things fair in this particular aspect; it's just one of those pandemic bummers.

* I'm wondering how many people dropped out of the pool just due to the fact that private school decisions came in February but Hunter decisions were pushed back to "spring". Hunter asked to be notified if people accepted a private school spot, and probably a lot of people didn't want to do that, because from what I understand reading various internet forums, being able to say that your kid got into Hunter is worth major private school bragging rights, even if you've always had zero intention of actually sending your kid there. And the fact that people would be giving up deposits in the range of $40,000 at this point... I feel like the parents who wouldn't even feel that kind of money probably think that Hunter's amenities are too inferior to ever consider sending their kid there, and people who actually have to cut back on their budgets in order to afford that kind of money might not be so eager to flush it down the drain, even if Hunter Elementary accepts their kid at some point this spring, especially since the high school is one of the main reasons people want to send their kids to the elementary school, and it's possible that the decision about elementary school admissions might come before people even find out whether the high school is planning to welcome an incoming class for 2021-2022 or not.

Weird year. Really weird year. I'm hoping we'll get DOE lottery results before we get Hunter results. If we're really really lucky and we get one of our top choice DOE schools, plus we also get into Hunter, we'll have to figure out whether it'll be possible to have some kind of tour of both schools, whether onsite or virtual. We'll have to weigh the risk of putting our kid on a bus to the Upper East Side and back twice a day. We'll have to find a new apartment with hopefully some proximity to whatever school we wind up sending him to. Just a ton of stuff happening this month, and no guarantee how or when any of it will shake out.

DOE results are out!! We received an offer from Dos Puentes, one of our top three choices. Not sure whether we're gonna try to nudge Castle Bridge to see if we can get a spot off the waitlist or just trust that if it's meant to happen, it will. Feeling pretty good about the situation, I have to say. It's an all dual language school, I've heard great things about it from a bunch of people in the neighborhood, and it's right in the middle of the Heights, so pretty much wherever we get a new apartment it'll be within easy commuting distance. Less stressed about whatever answer we get from Hunter, though I'm still crossing my fingers that we'll be waitlisted rather than outright accepted or rejected, just so we can theoretically keep the option in our back pocket on the off chance that Dos Puentes doesn't work out.

Feeling a ton of relief right now. Whatever happens this fall, we've got at least one really good option.
    Last edited by Gnito; 04-08-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnito View Post
    DOE results are out!! We received an offer from Dos Puentes, one of our top three choices. Not sure whether we're gonna try to nudge Castle Bridge to see if we can get a spot off the waitlist or just trust that if it's meant to happen, it will. Feeling pretty good about the situation, I have to say. It's an all dual language school, I've heard great things about it from a bunch of people in the neighborhood, and it's right in the middle of the Heights, so pretty much wherever we get a new apartment it'll be within easy commuting distance. Less stressed about whatever answer we get from Hunter, though I'm still crossing my fingers that we'll be waitlisted rather than outright accepted or rejected, just so we can theoretically keep the option in our back pocket on the off chance that Dos Puentes doesn't work out.

Feeling a ton of relief right now. Whatever happens this fall, we've got at least one really good option.
    We are waitlisted on 30th for our top choice school. Not sure if we will ever get it. Also waitlisted on another two schools - both in the 30th range. Anyone with previous experience? But I guess that's really zone or school-dependent.

We're #1 on the waitlist for our second choice school (which was actually my third choice, but my wife really liked it; if we get offered a placement, I'm inclined to try to persuade her to turn it down). Our first choice school says we're on the waitlist but not what rank we are. Not sure what to do about that. But I'm not too inclined to try to chase them down (aka "work the waitlist") all summer. I'm really pretty happy with the school we got!

Sorry I don't have better advice for you!

DOE results are out!! We received an offer from Dos Puentes, one of our top three choices.
    Congrats on your results.

Question to you though: Earlier in this thread you seem to focus on getting into a school that is "integrated racially and socioeconomically" correct? However, Dos Puentes is not racially integrated....it is only 2% blacks and 0% asians. Correct me if I'm wrong, but while Hunter could arguably be not as racially diverse, but neither is Dos Puentes (just on the opposite end of the spectrum).

Well, by integrated I mean it matches the demographics of the neighborhood better than most other schools here.

Dos Puentes: 76% Latinx, 19% white, 2% Black, 3% other.

Washington Heights: 70% Latinx, 18% white, 7% Black, 4% other.

Most other schools are either ~50%/50% Latinx and white (the zoned schools in the wealthier zip codes) or 90%+ Latinx (the zoned schools in the poorer zip codes).

A parent on a local Facebook group messaged me, alleging some very concerning systemic issues regarding bullying by both teachers and students at Dos Puentes. Obviously I need to try to verify the truth of these allegations, but if they turn out to be legitimate, it obviously makes me much more reluctant to send my kid there. It's so disheartening and frustrating to think that this otherwise perfect-seeming school might actually be a hostile environment for a sweet, gentle kid like mine.

I was feeling so relieved at not having to stress out so much about what Hunter's decision would be or when they would be delivering it. Now I guess Hunter is provisionally back on the table. Argh.
    Last edited by Gnito; 04-13-2021 at 11:45 AM.

A parent on a local Facebook group messaged me, alleging some very concerning systemic issues regarding bullying by both teachers and students at Dos Puentes. Obviously I need to try to verify the truth of these allegations, but if they turn out to be legitimate, it obviously makes me much more reluctant to send my kid there. It's so disheartening and frustrating to think that this otherwise perfect-seeming school might actually be a hostile environment for a sweet, gentle kid like mine.

I was feeling so relieved at not having to stress out so much about what Hunter's decision would be or when they would be delivering it. Now I
    guess Hunter is provisionally back on the table. Argh.
    I've been inside more than my share of schools, had hours long discussions and worked with more teachers and principals than I can count, including crying with many, ditto for tutoring/coaching/mentoring/advocating for tons of students/families.

The "running theme secret" is no matter how "good" a school may seem there is always at least one horrible part or person to it. Always. There is no unicorn school no matter what anybody tells you or what appears to be so on the surface. Many quite different behind the scenes than the public persona.

There is also always BS rumors that are often not true even one itoa or skewed to appear in one incorrect way or another.

I've also taught in places such as NYU, Columbia, etc., and the above -- and more -- is as true there too.

The issue isn't whether it's there or not, but to what severity, and especially, how it's handled.

Beware what you see.
    Beware what you're told.
    Beware what you think.

This sounds FUDy but it doesn't need to be.

Be street smart, be observant, be proactive, call bluffs, and use common sense.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

No, I know. I know that's true. Bullying happens everywhere. Hell, my wife went to Hunter Elementary and was bullied both by a teacher and by several fellow students. She remembers a classmate who was bullied so brutally he left the school. And HCES is always spoken of as a supportive, nurturing, gentle place. Many people are saying online that Dos Puentes is too. As you say, it's about how pervasive the bullying is, whether it's allowed by the administration to continue with impunity, and especially whether the bullying is coming mostly from the kids or mostly from the teachers. This parent's allegations were extremely disturbing, but it's hard to know to what extent they would apply to my own kid, who is sensitive and gender non-conforming but also quite big and strong. A different parent told me she knew of four families who left Castle Bridge (our first choice; we're still on their unranked waiting list) due to bullying, despite its small size and hands-on restorative justice policies. It's just all such a tangle.

Just checked the website: did anyone hear today? If we didnít, does that mean we didnít advance?

(as of 15 April 2021)

Thank you for your interest in Hunter College Elementary School and Hunter College High School.

HUNTER COLLEGE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
    CURRENT ROUND 2 APPLICANTS: For the current admissions season, all decisions for Round 2 advancement have been disseminated. Families who are advancing in the process are being provided with information on next steps.