+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnito View Post
    It also occurs to me that if the play with Hunter College High School is to scrap the admissions process and make it lottery-based, the K-12 pipeline would seem much less appealing to rich parents who are torn between HCES and private school.
    Not just rich parents. The whole reason parents are attracted to Hunter is the belief that your kid will be surrounded by other high-achieving kids who would benefit from a faster curriculum. It's not like the average teacher at Hunter is any better or worse than teachers at other public schools, and also Hunter actually receives less funding per student than public schools; so the appeal is just the peer group. If Hunter scraps the test and moves to a lottery and the kids are the same as the kids at any other public school, then what's the reason to send your kid all the way across town to go to Hunter instead of going to the local public school that's closer to your house?

(Unless you think the lottery is a stealth way of letting priviledged parents self-select and that the people who enter the lottery are mostly the same people who would have passed the test anyway. But if you believe that, then a lottery wouldn't increase diversity, so what's the point?)
    Last edited by heapchk; 02-23-2021 at 09:36 AM.

Do you have a citation for the funding Hunter gets? Is that just funding from the city, or is it inclusive of other sources as well? I read that their PTA had a massive fund, with a suggested contribution from each parent in the thousands. My wife went to HCES, and from the way she describes it, it sounds way, way, way fancier than the neighborhood public schools I went to in Montana.

The main advantage of Hunter, as I see it, is the possibility of individualized attention for my kid, who's reading and doing math at a third to fourth grade level but who is a little bit passive and hesitant when asked to do things he's not immediately good at, like art; I want him to be able to develop confidence and agency and to be able to accept that some things require hard work and that they're just as valuable as things that come to him effortlessly. I want him to maintain his curiosity and love of learning without becoming competitive or arrogant or feeling like he's superior to kids who learn at a different pace than he does. I'm not confident that Hunter can offer him those things, but I'm also worried that regular mainstreamed kindergarten will be a frustrating and stifling place for him, so I'm pretty ambivalent about all our options at the moment. I think a radically inclusive, radically integrated place like Castle Bridge would probably be ideal for him, but it's almost impossible to get into, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up for it.
    Last edited by Gnito; 02-23-2021 at 10:04 AM.

I can't imagine Hunter going lottery, at least not like this. I almost think they'd rather fold up than do that.

Rich parents, peers, w/e all becomes secondary... and for this reason too, if Hunter just becomes another elementary school, that's not it's raison d'Ítre, and if so it has no reason to exist, so it might as well fold up.

Hunter is a delicate environment depending upon how you look at it, and I've seen cases there and other places whereas it's exactly the perfect thing for a certain kid, whereas I've also seen it where it's not, and also where certain teachers can make or break the experience. And this goes both ways, for instance, I've seen kids who were told they couldn't make it and came out exemplary. As always, be careful what you wish for. That doesn't mean don't pursue it, just be alert about what the potential means, it's not a slam dunk and needs oiling in some cases, perhaps all of them.

That said, "regular" classes often are frustrating and stifling for many kids, from the get-go onward, so do indeed look at these possibilities.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4