+ Reply to Thread

SHSAT Advice For Future Test Takers

Hi,
    The students took SHSAT today. I appreciate if parents give their feedback about how their kids studied and how did test go for them.Did they find test easier/harder than previous years' questions published in the DOE's handbooks. For example, were the questions similar to the latest published handbook? Or harder/easier in Math/ELA? (https://www.citysmarts.net/new-blog/...shsat-handbook)
    If they think they did well, what resources/books were most helpful?

What section was easier?

Last year's education was interrupted. Did they still put a lot of questions from geometry and probability in Math section?
    Were they many poetry type reading passages for ELA?

I appreciate the feedback since the kids took the test today and it is still fresh for them to easily remember.

Thanks!

I get to work with lots of students, and the feedback I've gotten from the overwhelming majority is that the math felt easier than they would have thought it would be but the ELA was still challenging. Remember, this is just the first day so far. Also as I've been doing this for some times, such "feedback" does need to be taken with a grain of salt, as is always does and should. For instance, I've already been in many discussions today where one kid says my test didn't have X while another kid say mine did, and so on. Of course though there is many forms of the SHSAT each year and not just one version. Unlike last year where there was 3 and even 4 poems, this year it seems there was only one. For the next test date, all this feedback might reverse. That SHSAT Handbook is never intended as finite and only but a representational example. Resources are limited for those who did not use tutors, as there is only so many textbooks available for the SHSAT.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

I honestly think this discussion would be more fairly had after all students take the shsat this year.

Nothing much short of actually knowing the material is helpful when push comes to shove. There are some reasonable questions on the table that are as interesting 2 weeks ago as are today and as they'll be in 2 weeks on an exam that has been occurring some 90 years or so. If the DOE was more transparent, and stopping lying, and focus on strong middle schools, etc., families wouldn't need to be doing this.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)