Quote Originally Posted by metadoc View Post
Chemist is correct. The school caved to pressure from the Chancellor to dumb down academic admissions requirements, by allowing 2s on the state tests, if the art scoring was high on audition. Then they proceeded to diminish the number of AP classes available and limit the number students can take in lower years. Still, upperclassman can take 3 AP courses per year, which is likely sufficient.
The mission of LaGuardia is to provide rigorous, conservatory style performing arts training, with strong academics for those students who desire it (while others get a regular high school education). The school is NOT supposed to be another Stuyvesant, just with a bunch of art, dance, drama, and music classes. I am no fan of what is currently going on in New York education, but it is absolutely unfair to say that the Chancellor caved and dumbed down the academic admissions requirements. Rather, the Chancellor caved to pressure from students, parents, alumni, and notable figures in the performing arts world to reverse a disturbing trend of “dumbing down” the arts requirements in favor of admitting academically strong but artistically weaker candidates. I absolutely think that LaGuardia should admit an okay student (2s on the state test) with a high scoring art audition over an academically strong (4s on state test) student with a mediocre or even average audition score. The school was designed for the former. The latter has eight specialized academic high schools (and numerous other academically screened schools) to chose from. Leave the arts schools to the artists.

It’s like comparing Juilliard to Harvard and criticizing the former for not choosing students with the highest SAT scores but instead completely relying on audition results when making their admission decisions. Both schools are equally competitive and difficult to get into, but they serve completely different missions and educational goals, and appeal to a different set of students. Neither is better or worse. They are—and should remain—different in who they appeal to. I don’t think anyone here would realistically argue that Juilliard has “dumbed down” anything when it choses its students solely on art portfolios. Same should apply to LaGuardia.

As for the availability of APs… I don’t think we should use AP classes as any type of measure of academic rigor. That curriculum is a money making racket for the College Board that just forces students into a pointless race to nowhere but useless busy work. Those classes have little to do with actual college work.