+ Reply to Thread

Gifted and talented being phased out. Thoughts?

Good or bad? Your thoughts.

Even if it is 100% the best idea ever (and I am in no way saying it is) it will take the DOE a bit to get it implemented. So for now, it's mostly symbolic. Will it stick? That remains to be seen, but it's in contrast to what Adams has thus far claimed he wants to see. So it could be he has it thrown out the window, but he'd need to act ASAP on it.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Any predictions on what will happen to citywide G&Ts like Anderson and NEST? I predict the next cohort will be general Ed with admissions via lottery in their respective districts with priority to FRL. I believe the areas surrounding both schools have had overcrowding issues for years and this would bring “equity”. NEST is surrounded by NYCHA housing and for optics, DOE will want the next incoming Kindergarten class to reflect the diverse LES community. Thoughts?

Any ideas what will happen to those on K citywide G&T waitlist? with the MySchools "upgrade" i can no longer even see where my daughter is on the list!

Technically the seat rolls are still open. But unless you're proactive it's doubtful you'll get the seat since waitlists "closed" a few weeks ago.. This is a flaw in the system as I see it.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Quote Originally Posted by test321 View Post
    Any predictions on what will happen to citywide G&Ts like Anderson and NEST? I predict the next cohort will be general Ed with admissions via lottery in their respective districts with priority to FRL. I believe the areas surrounding both schools have had overcrowding issues for years and this would bring “equity”. NEST is surrounded by NYCHA housing and for optics, DOE will want the next incoming Kindergarten class to reflect the diverse LES community. Thoughts?
    Seems they'll do away with them and as you mention they'll just morph into gened as you say. Perhaps they'll establish some faux new school in the same building to handle each new incoming class to make up for the grade who graduates.