+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dec. 2, 2021 SHSAT test

Does anyone have comments on the SHSAT taken Dec. 2, 2021? I hear from students that some versions were a lot harder than others, and there is some confusion as to whether/how these can be graded on a curve given the way the normal algorithm gives so many extra points per correct question as one's raw score goes up. All comments and reactions on the test are welcome.

There are always comments about versions being easier/harder. It's always hard to tell how much of that is reality versus charged emotions/perception. As well, it depends upon a student's proficiency. That said, the SHSAT is always statistically normalized across versions. Therefore a so-called easy version would be worth more per correct if you will while a so-called hard version worth less.
    Last edited by GregsTutoringNYC; 12-03-2021 at 10:15 AM.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

My daughter is in a citywide (Q300) where most of the 8th grade class takes the test and across the board all the students in her school reported that the ELA was ridiculously hard while the math was "all right." My daughter had the C2 version of the test. She scored 600+ on all her practice tests and is VERY strong in ELA.

I spoke with students from other schools (not citywides) and they thought their test was easier than the practice. There are different versions of the test (easier/harder) and there always have been. My concern is that without transparency in the scoring, this fact alone can be used to manipulate admissions, especially when an administration has a specific agenda to re-shift numbers.

I spoke with hundreds of students last year, and many thought the test was easier than they expected but some of those same students were surprised when they got their scores and got many wrong.

I do agree about transparency and agendas though, that's definitely a big concern.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

D25Mommy: "My concern is that without transparency in the scoring, this fact alone can be used to manipulate admissions, especially when an administration has a specific agenda to re-shift numbers.[/QUOTE]"

Are you saying that there is a suspicion among some that certain schools get versions that on the whole are easier and certain other schools get versions that are on the whole harder?
    Last edited by 12XYZ; 12-03-2021 at 01:34 PM.

For what it’s worth, my kid, who just took the SHSAT this morning, thought math was pretty easy and English was harder, but not too bad. A few of his friends who took it with him thought the same. He said math had a few questions that were not on the practice tests at all, but he was familiar with them from school. He’s in a private school with advanced math.

My daughter goes to Russell Sage in Forest Hills which sends a lot of its honors kids to specialized high schools. Kids there also reported that ELA was extremely hard - way harder than the practice tests. Math seemed about the same as normal. There clearly was at least one version of the test with a very difficult ELA. She was scoring 560-600+ on most practice tests. Greg, what should students be scoring on practice tests to get into a school like BRonx Science?

With my students I like to work with them so that they have at least 40-50 points above historical cutoff scores which would then be 560+

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    With my students I like to work with them so that they have at least 40-50 points above historical cutoff scores which would then be 560+
    What would be the raw score for 40-50 points above the cutoff (600-610)? So much variability found in online sources, my sonís tutor told him not to worry about the score and just aim for 90% correct or more on each section.

Science's modern historical average is 513. It's most recent high was 533. Here's a conglomeration of them all on one page: https://www.GregsTutoringNYC.com/mis...HSATReport.jpg Please note that past year's scores technically have nothing to do with possible future scores.

For most students, scores are a huge rabbit hole, a complete distraction, and unhelpful. Even most tutors misinform about them or don't even understand them. I understand them well, however, I normally stay away from them when interacting with my students until towards the end, when they might matter. Instead we focus on concepts and topics, as doing that will get questions correct, and doing that will get a score. Sometimes I use percents myself to get a rough line in the sand, and to work through the juggle. With my students we aim for the top unicorn score, always. Even getting a 90% is misleading and as such we work on strengthening strengths, strengthening weaknesses, unknown topics, numeracy, etc.