+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Oh, I see! How did you find out that the standards for Bronx kids were different? I thought it was interesting that they changed the requirements this year, although I assume it's because this cohort had their standardized tests interrupted by covid since 2020 was their 4th grade year.

It would probably take me a bit to re-piece that back together, but the long and short of it is that I get to hear lots of rumors. Most are just that, complete nonsense. However this popped up and without getting into any details I was able to get confirmation on it. Not understanding why I contacted Hunter and as mentioned eventually got to speak with the director who was irate I was reaching out.

As to the change, yes, the NY State Tests were skewed because that year students were not have to take both parts, many students did not take it at all, and most of those who did were provided the answers since NYS decided to repeat questions from past exams en masse.

And with an interesting twist, even this year requirements were controversial: For instance, when I asked for an interpretation of the requirements (which is always worded awkwardly) they told me it meant one thing and told others it meant something else. IMO that never got resolved. Go figure.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Yeah, I think it's genuinely tough to please everyone with this sort of exclusive opportunity. Someone's always going to be left out of the process and I wish it wasn't that way. Every year they turn away tons of bright kids. I wish they could expand and have different locations! (But I understand why they don't, of course.)

Philosophically yes it's genuinely tough to please everybody. Furthermore, some are never pleased. At the same time, the actualities are broken. That is, we're not a town of 10K. We're a city of millions over a rather large land mass. It's some 40 miles from where I am in Queens to OuterBridge in SI, and well, that kind of throws genuine out the window. "This city" can and should be better all around, whether Hunter, DOE, etc.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist yet?

Not yet.
    Does Anyone know of anyone who has come off this year’s waitlist?

Does anyone know, historically, how long it has taken Hunter to send out waitlist offers after the deadline to accept has passed? Curious if they've usually sent them out within a day or two of offer acceptance deadline, or if it has taken longer in the past.

We don't know of anyone who got off the waitlist yet. At my kid's school alone, there are at least 5 kids waitlisted that we know of (including my kid). Statistically, that seems like a lot from a single school for a waitlist of just 20 - 30.

Quote Originally Posted by meta54321 View Post
    Does anyone know, historically, how long it has taken Hunter to send out waitlist offers after the deadline to accept has passed? Curious if they've usually sent them out within a day or two of offer acceptance deadline, or if it has taken longer in the past.

We don't know of anyone who got off the waitlist yet. At my kid's school alone, there are at least 5 kids waitlisted that we know of (including my kid). Statistically, that seems like a lot from a single school for a waitlist of just 20 - 30.
    Unconfirmed rumor is that they expanded the waitlist a LOT in order to cherry pick for diversity. In other words, if an accepted kid from a certain geographic area drops, they'll go down the waitlist and try to fill the spot with the "same" kid (geographically speaking). Which isn't good news for most waitlisted kids.

I don't think this is too far from the status quo they've used for years (as I understand it), and now that selection been extended to all boroughs, doing that is just par for the course.

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    I don't think this is too far from the status quo they've used for years (as I understand it), and now that selection been extended to all boroughs, doing that is just par for the course.
    Agree. When the waitlist really was 25-30 kids the odds of ultimately getting an accept were pretty good, regardless of your address. Now if you aren't part of a certain demographic, the odds of your child being cherry picked from the list are probably nil.