+ Reply to Thread

Hunter College HS vs Stuyvesant

Is Stuyvesant better than Hunter, Any thoughts?

I have a senior in Stuy and a sophomore in Hunter. My son hated every second in stuy and my daughter has been happy since her fist day in hunter. My third kid has an offer to Brooklyn tech but we are still waiting for LaGuardia results because that's where my daughter wants to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Stork View Post
    They are both great schools. So much depends on your child and what they are looking for. Assuming your child is at HCHS now, what are your/their reasons for wanting a change?

Quote Originally Posted by YIGABA View Post
    I have a senior in Stuy and a sophomore in Hunter. My son hated every second in stuy and my daughter has been happy since her fist day in hunter. My third kid has an offer to Brooklyn tech but we are still waiting for LaGuardia results because that's where my daughter wants to go.
    I would caution you against enrolling your daughter at LaGuardia. The principal just announced the cancellation of AP classes in the name of equity. My kid got into Stuy and is 99.99% certain to get admitted to LaGuardia (cannot discuss the details). We are choosing Stuy.
    The current admininistration of LaGuardia effectively managed to send a strong message to kids who are both academically and artistically accomplished that they are not wanted. This is the sad reality we have to accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Stork View Post
    They are both great schools. Note that Hunter starts in Grade 7 and is affiliated with CUNY and I believe also Columbia too. Ofc Stuy is downtown and Hunter uptown. Both are Ivy League feeders. Hunter is more humanities based while Stuy STEM, but Hunter is still strong on math, etc and Stuy is still strong on ELA, etc. Hunter class sizes are typically smaller than Stuy. Stuy tends to get known for being stressful but that could be applicable to Hunter too, and, it depends upon you much pressure you add (many AP classes vs none, etc.).
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Any way to see where the graduates from Stuy & Hunter ended up from the class of 2021? I know I've seen this listed somewhere for Hunter but this was years ago and I haven't seen any listing of the graduates and their respective matriculated undergrads recently.

I've seen such lists in the past as well, IIRC from their respective websites, though you may have to dig some to find where. Both lists were impressive so may not be too much to grok except the obvious.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)