+ Reply to Thread

Nancy Shulman leaving 92Y to start up Avenues: The World School!

I just saw the letter she wrote to 92Y parents:
    Dear Parents, For the past 21 years I have had the joy and privilege of directing our very special school. It is with very mixed emotions that I tell you as of July 2011, I will be leaving the Nursery School to begin a new position as the Head of the Early Learning Center for a new school, Avenues: The World School. I will be joining a founding group of educators to open a new Nursery through 12th-grade school that will have its flagship in Chelsea, and over the next ten years open 20 schools in major cities around the world. This opportunity to help create a global system of schools is unique and compelling. The 92nd Street Y Nursery School is in a very secure and sound position with a staff and administration that is second to none and will certainly carry on our tradition of excellence as the school moves into the future, a sentiment that is echoed in the attached letter from Tom Kaplan, president of 92Y’s Board of Directors, and Sol Adler, 92Y executive director. The focus for me over the next weeks and months is where it always is, making sure each day is as good as it can be for every child, teacher and parent. Ellen and I will work together, as always, to ensure a smooth transition as we move forward. I am grateful to every family in this school, past and present, who have touched my life and mean so much to me. I know the school will continue to grow and change while honoring its 73-year history. Thank you very much for all your support and caring.

Warmly, Nancy
    Here is a link to Avenues: The World School: http://www.avenues.org. Apparently, it's started by former Esquire owner Christopher Whittle and former Yale president Benno Schmidt.

Wow! Big loss. Preschool directors are so involved in what goes on at a school. We really liked Nancy too. Luckily, 92Y wasn't our first choice.

It looks like the site moderator posted a link to another article about Avenues.

http://www.theschoolboards.com/showt...ool-in-Chelsea